Episode 52 - Season 3, Episode 8
First Aired: November 8, 1984
Title: Some potential guests come looking for a room with an ocean view.
Steven leaves for the weekend to visit Elyse and her mother. While the kids are alone, Alex suspends all punishments. Mallory plans to go to the mall and damages the car before getting out of the driveway. To cover the costs, Alex rents out the house (called "Keaton Manor") during the Leland Homecoming Game. Steven returns in the middle of the festivities (which included the kidnapped "Crawford Kangaroo").
- Dougie Barker (played by Jeff Cohen) asks for a massage. He tries to hold a straight face and just about breaks into a smile.
- Steven recalls, "There was a kangaroo ... in my living room", to which Alex replies, "He was just here for the party, Dad."
- Steven gives a great speech to the kids while figuring out the whole situation.
- Parts of this episode are used as flashbacks in "A Word to the Wise" and "Return of the Native".
- Skippy got tickets to the NCAA Chess Semifinals and wants to invite Mallory.
- Production assistant Robert Schanche appears in this episode.
- Sam Whipple who plays Jack Driscoll, was the voice of the suicidal caller in "Hotline Fever"
- Earl Boen and Beverly Archer (who play the Barker parents) are both familiar character actors.
- Notice Alex's monogrammed (like everything else he owns) sleeping bag.
- Jeff Cohen also appears in "The Visit".
- Meredith Baxter Birney does not appear in this episode. (see explanation).