Episode #88 - Season 4, Episode 21
First Aired: March 6, 1986
As Jennifer is growing up, Steven feels detached from her. Alex is pulled over by a policeman for not coming to a complete stop, and Mallory openly agrees with the officer. He vows to fight the ticket. Jennifer brings home a boy, Chuck (played by Chuck Rottman), and Steven dismisses him quickly. Steven decides to attend the Sunflower Girls meeting with Jennifer.
- Steven's rendition of the Sunflower Salute and the Sunflower Goodbye.
- Steven gets interrogated by Alice, one of the Sunflower Girls.
- At the Sunflower Girls meeting, the group sings "Low Bridge" (aka, The Erie Canal song)
- Parts of this episode are used as a flashback in "The American Family".
- Alex's evidence to present in court includes one of Mallory's report cards and the results of a recent IQ test. He thinks these will convince the judge that she's not a credible witness. (Of course, Mallory's IQ test results were pretty good in "Designated Hitter".)
- Alex slams the refrigerator door and it remains ajar (and it remains so throughout the rest of the episode).
- Elyse quotes Mark Twain saying that when he was 14, his father was so ignorant and he couldn't stand to be around him. But by the time he turned 21 he was astonished how much his father had learned in just seven years. (see reference) (Some believe Twain did not actually say this).