Episode #92 - Season 5, Episode 2
First Aired: October 2, 1986
Ellen has won a dance scholarship and left Alex to go to Paris. His parents encourage him to get on with his life. His buddies are no help. but a waitress, Sharon McElroy (played by Haviland Morris) might. They go out to dinner, but Alex is still thinking of Ellen.
- For his date, Alex dresses in a very 1980s (a la Miami Vice, which ran at the same time) outfit with no socks and says an oft-quoted line: "I'm hip, I'm cool, I'm a happenin' fool."
- Steven searches for the right word to say Alex looks good and can only come up with "Whatever means groovy these days".
- As in the two episodes titled "The Real Thing", the song by Billy Vera & The Beaters', "At This Moment", is heard (It was sort of their song).
- Part of this episode is used as a flashback in "The American Family".
- The introduction of Ellen's departure seems like it should have been dealt with in another episode (but it wasn't).
- John Putch reprises his role as Neil from "Birthday Boy". He was also Pete in "Summer of '82".
- The character of Flaum (played by Michael Zorek) also appeared in "Best Man".
- Robert Costanzo appears in this and several other episodes.